on page 10 of "3rd floor" magazine, spring 2005, you will find a photo i took not too long after moving to this side of dallas, entitled hourglass. go 'head. support art and indie media by getting a subscription!
"3rd floor" is edited by katie rubright and heidi cunningham and i highly suggest you follow that katie link in order to experience the wittiest of witty blogs in cyberfunk. hers is currently under quarentine---damnitall---but perhaps you'll be satisfied with the scrolling of downs and then perhaps we could persuade her via a big comment bomb or mass purchases of "3rd floor" to persuade her to continue her written observations.
the mag is very impressive in it's purpose. to paraphrase from the thoughtfully written "intro." (in leu of a more accurate word): a portable art space where there are no artistic guidelines (though an emphasis on thoughtful art). and one of the many good quotes concerning the purpsose, "Our goal is to democratize art. To equalize who has access to viewing and participating in creative expression. To encourage people to think of themselves as creators of culture, not just consumers."
jasus, reading the whole thing now, it's like a bag of potato chips. hard to pick just one good quote.
i normally don't expect to see art mags take off. but this one has a lot of drive and purpose and idea and a real grass-roots hoopla that could carry it far. it seems to have good organization and an idea of what people will do. . .should do. . . for something they support. there is even a nicely done insert titled "3rd floor is an army of few. we'd like to work on that" and explains how to get more involved.
my blessings and gratitude are with organizations like 3rd floor that helps us lead active lives more for ourselves, for our creativity for the love of it, and less just because we have to. also, did i mention my picture is in it?! that's so cool.
so. you wanna get more involved? here's what the insert says:
- submit art. visit http://www.3rdfloorproject.org for info on formats and deadlines.
- post information about events and opportunities on our discussion board.
- contribute to the nationwide critique and discussion on our website where every artwork in our print magazines is open to your feedback.
- link to our website from your site or trade banner ads.
- mail out our postcards or stick them in community centers, cafes and art spaces.
- distribute posters and stickers in your town: you can download them from our site or we can mail a package of materials to you.
- ask local independent bookstores to carry 3rdfloor magazine.
- become a distribution representative to get the mag to your town.
- table for 3rdfloor or circulate copies at events and art festivals.
- subscribe. 18 dollars a year gets you a 4 print issues plus a cd/dvd issues (available only to subscribers). 3rd floor is also highly palatable as a gift subscription.
- throw an event, screen a film, or organize a concert to benefit 3rd floor project.
- advertise in 3rd floor-we offer discounted rates for nonprofits and collectives. classified ads are just 20 bucks.
- donate securely online. 3rd floor project is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization (status pending.)